On April 25, 2009 members of the John Alexander Chapter and guests attended a very special event: the installation of a marker at Abingdon on the grounds of Reagan National Airport. The marker honored John Alexander for whom the chapter is named as well as the city of Alexandria. Abingdon was the home of John Alexander's great grandson Gerald. The house no longer stands but the site has been carefully preserved.
The text of the marking is as follows:
ABINGDON AND JOHN ALEXANDER
CAPTAIN JOHN ALEXANDER WAS A PLANTER AND CAPTAIN OF THE STAFFORD COUNTY MILITIA. HE PURCHASED THE HOWSON PATENT IN 1669. THE 6,000 ACRE PATENT ON THE SOUTHERN SIDE OF THE POTOMAC WAS ABOUT TWO MILES WIDE AND EXTENDED FROM A POINT OPPOSITE GEORGETOWN DOWN THE POTOMAC TO THE GREAT HUNTING CREEK. IN 1732 THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY AUTHORIZED THE BUILDING OF THE HUNTING CREEK WAREHOUSE. IN THE MID 1740s, HIS GREAT GRANDSON GERARD ALEXANDER BUILT ABINGDON. THE ACT OF 1749 FORMALLY RENAMED THE GROWING COMMUNITY, IN HONOR OF JOHN ALEXANDER AND HIS FAMILY, WHO PROVIDED LAND ON WHICH THE TOWN WAS FOUNDED.
JOHN ALEXANDER CHAPTER
NATIONAL SOCIETY DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION